Maloof Skateboarding aims to raise the visibility of skateboarding across the U.S. and globally through professional and amateur contests and partnerships, to support local skate shops and to give back to the communities it touches.
MALOOF MONEY CUP (MMC)
Maloof Money Cup, the world’s greatest skateboarding event, is a premier showcase for amateur and professional skateboarding founded by Joe and Gavin Maloof, whose family owns the Sacramento Kings NBA franchise and the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.
Joe and Gavin’s mission was to create a new type of skate contest; from giving the skaters the reigns in designing the contest’s custom street courses and featuring the most diverse collection of skaters ever assembled for a contest; to working with cities to leave behind world class skate parks.
In true Maloof style, the brothers entered the industry looking for ways to raise the bar on competitive skateboarding.
- The inaugural Maloof Money Cup was held in 2008 at the OC Fair & Event Center in Orange County, Calif. and drew more than 200,000 attendees.
- First to offer the biggest cash purse of any skateboarding competition, with a cash and prize purse of nearly a half million dollars. Since then, we’ve upped the ante and offered a $1,000,000 bonus to any street skater who can win four MMC championships consecutively.
- The only contest to let the skaters take the lead on the design of the competition street courses, vert ramps and to provide overall input on the contest format.
- The Maloofs were also the first to invest the time and money needed to build actual concrete skate plazas, built for the contest that replicate true street skating.
- In 2010, the Maloof Money Cup presented by Vans expanded to Queens, New York, becoming the first to donate a contest-level skate park back to its host city.
SUPPORT A LOCAL SKATE SHOP
This Christmas, Maloof Skateboarding launched a campaign to support local skate shops across the country. Skateboarding started with the skate shops and the integrity of the industry is tied with their success. The Christmas promotion highlighted local skate shops during the busiest shopping season of the year and encouraged everyone to support them year-round.
MALOOF SKATEBOARDING GLOBAL INITIATIVE
Maloof Skateboarding Global Initiative, launched in December 2010, continues Maloof Skateboarding‘s mission to bring skateboarding to communities around the world and work in partnership with local governments to leave permanent skate parks behind. The goal is to provide a positive activity in which kids and youth can participate, keeping them off the streets, away from crime and inspiring a new generation of skateboarders, all while giving back to each community it touches.
SKATEBOARDING FOR HOPE – SOUTH AFRICA
In December 2010, the Maloof Global Skateboarding Initiative kicked off with the “Skateboarding for Hope” tour across South Africa, a 10-month tour and outreach program across 17 towns offering pro demos, skate clinics and contests. Throughout the tour, Maloof Skateboarding, the Provincial Government and their partners will be donating thousands of shoes, decks and skate gear to provide underprivileged youth in South Africa the opportunity to take up skateboarding. The tour leads up to the first ever Maloof Money Cup World Skateboarding Championships in Kimberley Sept. 30-Oct 2, 2011.
MALOOF U SKATE MADNESS
In addition to the 2011 Maloof Money Cup events (cities and dates will be announced soon), Maloof Skateboarding is also launching Maloof U Skate Madness, a new contest in partnership with Digital College Network with the goal of supporting and bringing awareness to the millions of college skaters around the country and to encourage college students to continue skating throughout their college years and beyond.
MALOOF MONEY CUP 201: NEW YORK & BEYOND
We look forward to returning to Queens, New York for another amazing contest. Last year’s event featured some of the most amazing skateboarding ever seen. The support of the entire New York skateboarding community was unbelievable and we look forward to returning this Summer. In the next few weeks, the 2011 cities and dates will be announced. It’s going to be an amazing year and we can’t wait to share some exciting news!